Main article: Main Page.
iClone Python API
Scripting can be powerful tool in your arsenal for dealing with 3D art production. Whether you are looking for a way to automate some parts of your workflow or develop more advanced tool-kits and plugins, scripting can offer something for everyone. With the iClone Python API, one has access to the powerful low level implementations hidden within iClone, while abstracting its complexity to a manageable level.
Reallusion cannot be held responsible for any damages to your code or project-schedule as a result of your study and use of this documentation or correspondence with our SDK support team. Reallusion is not obliged to make any changes to the SDK at your request. When using this reference or inquiring for support, you do so at your own risk.
Python is a general-purpose language, which means it can be used to build just about anything - a process made easy with the right tools and code libraries. Professionally, Python is great for backend web development, data analysis, artificial intelligence, and scientific computing. Many developers have also used Python to build productivity tools, games, and desktop apps, so there are plenty of resources to help you learn how to create those as well.
Python is easy to pick up for experienced programmers coming from other languages and easy to learn for beginners and novices. Which can also explain its wide-spread support with 3D software with the likes of Autodesk 3dsMax, Autodesk Maya, Maxon Cinema4d, Blender, etc.
Feature Release Cycles
We are constantly working on improving the coverage of our Python APIs, so we want to move to shorter release cycles. Rather than releasing major versions over longer periods of time, we will aim to build, test, and release updates more frequently.
With continuous delivery, we can exercise the option to include early access and experimental features in each release that are in early to intermediate stages of development. This strategy allows us get feedback for a feature while it is being worked on it, in turn we learn more about what you want in the final product. There will be two main types of feature releases:
- Early Access Features - We may deprecate this functionality at our discretion. However, we support backward compatibility for assets and the API for this feature should be stable.
- Experimental Features - We do not support backward compatibility for assets, the API for this feature is subject to change, and we may remove functionality at our discretion.
Keep the following conventions in mind when dealing with the iClone environment:
- World Axis: Z up, -Y forward, Right-handed Coordinate system
- Rotational System: Quaternion, Matrix3 or Euler Angle ( Radians )
- Scale Units: 1 equals to 100% scale.
- Time Units: 1 equals to 1 millisecond and 1,000 equals to 1 second.
Article: Capabilities and Limitations
Article: Getting Started
Article: Your First iClone Python Plugin